Welcome
Hey guys, welcome to the NSider Community, a Nintendo gaming forum! Our most popular discussions are Pokémon, Super Smash Brothers, and free discussion at our Restaurant. But don't be deceived; you will not get your food! I hope you join in our discussions today here at NSC.

Free Tuition for University... if...

The deepest conversations are moving, inspired, and sometimes touchy. Take a break from the bustling world for a minute and speak from the heart.

Free Tuition for University... if...

Postby AlakazamBrain » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:41 pm

McMaster University (it is a very well respect university in Canada in Hamilton. Congrats, you now know the name of a Canadian University) has announced that it will offer free tuition for a four year undergrad program, to certain individuals.

This includes four years of an undergrad program as well as your first year in residence, with a meal plan, paid for. Although there is a great range, it likely will end up around $50,000 in total.

So, who are the selected individuals? Those who have lost a parent in the Canadian Forces while on duty. Although a few other Canadian universities have done similar things, McMaster is by far the most reputable to do this.

Do you think children who have lost a parent in a war zone should receive free tuition?

As for me, I have to disagree with this. Although I am sure it is difficult to cope with the loss of someone so close as your parents, and I know parents are a significant source of financial aid, but I do not see losing a parent in a war as justifying a considerable amount of money being awarded like this. It is unfortunate for anyone to lose a parent, and if this were open to anyone who lost a parent for any reason (sickness, car crash, etc.), I wouldn't have a problem. However, I do have a problem with limiting it to the armed forces. Everyone else would have to work exceptionally hard to get great marks, write essays, and win competitions to get scholarships not even near the size of this one. Although I am sure many who lost a parent in a war would need the money, I have little doubt their story and how they overcomed it would surely get them some great scholarships.
Chuey wrote:I know you enjoy screwing with me. >_>

AlakazamBrain
Jack
Jack

Have thanks: 4 time
Highscores: 22

Re: Free Tuition for University... if...

Postby Dragon6534 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:09 pm

I completely agree with you, AB. Why restrict it to just the army? Well, besides the fact that they've serviced the country, but still. Money is a lot in this world (maybe too much, but I digress), but just because you lost a parent in the Army doesn't mean you should necessarily get extra benefits. People shouldn't have to have a parent die to get into a good college; they should put in the work, get the grades, and study, study, study to get into a good college. If this was open to people who had parents die and had good grades (3.5 GPA at least), I'd have no problem with it. The way it is now, though, seems like too much of a free pass.

Edit: Oops, I have to stop assuming things. >.>
Last edited by Dragon6534 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon6534
Wario
Wario

Have thanks: 1 time
Highscores: 2

Postby AlakazamBrain » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:16 pm

Just to make sure something is clear, this does completely cover tuition for four years and first year residence and meal plan. It does not get you a spot in the university. What it means is if you do get accepted into a program, all of your tuition fees will be paid for.

All the same, many of McMaster's undergrad programs (with maybe the exception of life science) require at least a 75% average. It is not exceptionally high or anything.
Chuey wrote:I know you enjoy screwing with me. >_>

AlakazamBrain
Jack
Jack

Have thanks: 4 time
Highscores: 22

Postby Roboryantron » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Well, partaking in the military comes with all sorts of benefits, and you can't get all of them if you die. So I think it's only fair to pass them on to the children, who not only lost a parent but about 50% of their families income. However, I don't think a school should give a child free tuition if he shows up for an interview or something under the influence of drugs, has all D's, or has legal problems. Plus, how many times does Canada go to war?
Roboryantron
Treecko
Treecko

Have thanks: 1 time

Return to The Fireplace