Welcome
Hey guys, welcome to the NSider Community, a Nintendo gaming forum! Our most popular discussions are Pokémon, Super Smash Brothers, and free discussion at our Restaurant. But don't be deceived; you will not get your food! I hope you join in our discussions today here at NSC.

I'm Not Sure Why...

Whether it's about the forum, your computer, or anything else, stop here for help!

Re: I'm Not Sure Why...

Postby Chuey » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:16 pm

I tried that, but you can't pause the scanner. And if OneCare can't eliminate any of my bad malware issues of the past, I'm confident Security Essentials can't as it's basically the same thing, only wrapped up in a program. 25 dollars for ONE time for wicked epic protection is my choice.

And though my mom has always been against me getting my own computer, my dad's always been in favor. I talked to him again today and he agreed to this: once I find the right computer, we'll pay half each till I can pay the whole thing off.
Chuey
428 and Chuey
428 and Chuey

Have thanks: 9 time
Highscores: 24

Postby Storm39 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:21 pm

In that case, you're fine if you've got $300. I found a Dell for around $600.
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/ ... reat_deals

You can customize the specs yourself, but the upgrade to 4GB of RAM is only $45. The price includes the monitor.
Storm39
Tingle
Tingle

Have thanks: 2 time
Highscores: 3

Postby Chuey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:41 am

Alright, here's my current specs. It seems like most of the specs are upgrades of the Dell are alright, but I'm a nub at things like these when dealing with computers, I'd rather ask a lot of questions and look dumb to get the best computer instead of assuming, asking few questions, and coming out with crap.

Processor
Intel Pentium 4 630 with Hyper-Threading Technology
-3.0 GHz
-800 MHz FSB
-2 MB cache on die Level 2

System Chipset
-Intel 915G Express Chipset

Memory
-Installed: 512 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM (2- 256 MB modules)
-Expandable to 2 GB (did, but retyping the printed specs sheet word-for-word)
-Support for dual channel memory mode

Hard Drive
-200 GB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive

Media Card Reader
-CompactFlash
-IBM MicroDrive
-Memory Stick
-Memory Stick Pro
-SmartMedia
-Secure Digital (SD) / MMC
-USB 2.0

Sound Support
-Integrated Intel High Definition Audio subsystem using the Realtek ALC860 audic codec

Video
-Integrated Intel GMA900 onboard graphics

Port Connections
-7 USB 2.0 ports (2 in front bezel, 1 in media card reader, 4 on rear)
-3 IEEE 1394 Ports (2 in front beze, 1 in back)
-1 Serial Port
-1 Parallel Port
-2 PS/2 Ports (keyboard and mouse)
-Audio In and Out
-RJ-11 Modem
-RJ-45 Ethernet LAN

Expansion Slots
-2 PCI slots (1 open)
-1 PCI Express x1 slot (1 open)
-1 PCI Express x16 slot (1 open)

Optical Drives
-Double layer 16X DVD+/-RW Drive

Expansion Bays
-2 internal 3.5-inch (1 open)
-2 external 3.5-inch (1 open)
-2 external 5.25-inch (both used by optical drives)

Network Support
-Integrated Intel PRO 10/100 mbps Ethernet LAN

Modem Speed
-56 Kbps

Input Devices
-Keyboard
-2-button wheel mouse (we've upgraded to a new mouse since we got this computer, obviously)

Chassis Style
-Mini-tower

Case Dimensions (H x W x D)
-14.25 x 7.25 x 16.0 inches

Weight
-23.0 pounds

Would any updated specification from the link be bad? Note, I will want to play Maple, which is possible with my current specs. Maple's Required Specs. Besides that, there shouldn't be any programs for me that won't work except RPG Maker 2000 since that didn't work with Vista, but Windows 7 has compatibility mode, right?

It seems like the Dell would provide me a much larger hard drive (space-wise), same optical drives, and a wide monitor by around 2 inches (and included in price already, bam!). Need to know, the processor is just for improved speed and functioning, won't affect programs and files, right? (sounds like a dumb question) The Media Card Reader, what exactly is that? I will want to have a slot for flash drives and memory cards, but not sure what this Media Card Reader thing is, to be honest. No worry with Floppy Disks. Wi-Fi will have to get included through Charter setting up internet for my new computer, and I'm curious about speakers. I have no information on them and neither does my dad, so I don't know what speakers are good and... which ones aren't. I assume the USB keyboard is the normal thing a computer as mine would have, but I was young back when we got this. I wasn't aware of what was what. Seemingly it's like nothing's changed. NS:D I don't think I have any other questions. If there's any other possible computers I'd like to see them, but the tower, monitor, and specs of this one you've showed me seem pretty darn good! (monitor and tower look hawt :D:)
Chuey
428 and Chuey
428 and Chuey

Postby Storm39 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:19 pm

Unless you do a lot of high-intensity gaming, you probably don't need a 3GHz processor. You could get away with something from 2.0-2.5 for what you do. The model I posted a link too comes with a 500GB HD by default, so you may want to have a look at that. You should probably upgrade your RAM to 4GB. Other than that, you should be good to go.
Storm39
Tingle
Tingle

Postby Chuey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Well, I've gone 4 hours at a time before, if that counts as intense. I already planned to pay the 35 dollar fee for 4 gigs right off the bat, and as for the hard drive? On my current C Drive has 70.29 gigs capacity, and there's 21.29 GB left (30%). Considering this and the fact the default hard drive for this computer is 300 GB more than mine, 200, I should have PLENTY of space for stuff. Or should I shell out more for another reason (recall, only wise with some computer stuff, this stuff I fail at)?
Chuey
428 and Chuey
428 and Chuey

Postby AlakazamBrain » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:25 pm

In response to the actual quality of the computer...

I personally would not recommend the investment. This computer will be obsolete shortly; it is a single core processor with 0.5 GB of RAM that cannot surpass 2GB. Everything else really looks fine or is expandable, but these specs are worrying. I don't think it even meets the requirements to run Windows 7 (or recommended requirements).

Definitely do not get a computer that has such a low limit for RAM. This computer will be on the verge of complete incompatibility with the latest products within four years.
Chuey wrote:I know you enjoy screwing with me. >_>

AlakazamBrain
Jack
Jack

Have thanks: 4 time
Highscores: 22

Postby Chuey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:37 pm

AlakazamBrain wrote:In response to the actual quality of the computer...

I personally would not recommend the investment. This computer will be obsolete shortly; it is a single core processor with 0.5 GB of RAM that cannot surpass 2GB. Everything else really looks fine or is expandable, but these specs are worrying. I don't think it even meets the requirements to run Windows 7 (or recommended requirements).

Definitely do not get a computer that has such a low limit for RAM. This computer will be on the verge of complete incompatibility with the latest products within four years.

*points at the "here's my current specs"*.

Of course the specs I posted are bad. They're for THE COMPUTER I'M TYPING ON. x_x I was posting them for comparison to the Dell one Storm showed me to see if the Dell was an upgrade. Sorry to snap AB, either I need to make things more obvious or you need to look out for details D=< I thought the "did, but retyping the printed specs sheet word-for-word" helped hint that. D:
Chuey
428 and Chuey
428 and Chuey

Postby AlakazamBrain » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:06 pm

Chuey wrote:
AlakazamBrain wrote:In response to the actual quality of the computer...

*points at the "here's my current specs"*.

Of course the specs I posted are bad. They're for THE COMPUTER I'M TYPING ON. x_x I was posting them for comparison to the Dell one Storm showed me to see if the Dell was an upgrade. Sorry to snap AB, either I need to make things more obvious or you need to look out for details D=< I thought the "did, but retyping the printed specs sheet word-for-word" helped hint that. D:

Sorry, I must have missed that :P
Chuey wrote:I know you enjoy screwing with me. >_>

AlakazamBrain
Jack
Jack

Have thanks: 4 time
Highscores: 22

Postby Storm39 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:41 pm

Chuey wrote:Well, I've gone 4 hours at a time before, if that counts as intense. I already planned to pay the 35 dollar fee for 4 gigs right off the bat, and as for the hard drive? On my current C Drive has 70.29 gigs capacity, and there's 21.29 GB left (30%). Considering this and the fact the default hard drive for this computer is 300 GB more than mine, 200, I should have PLENTY of space for stuff. Or should I shell out more for another reason (recall, only wise with some computer stuff, this stuff I fail at)?

By "high-intensity," I mean how much power the game requires to run. Things like Maplestory don't require a lot of processing power. When I say "high-intensity," I'm talking about 3D games with very high-quality graphics.
Storm39
Tingle
Tingle

Postby Chuey » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:48 am

Oh, alright. NS:P Gonna print the specs sheet of the Dell out for my dad to show to his friend who works with computers. Hopefully after some looking and speaker choosing this computer will be mine D:

Edit: Friend (don't wanna post name) said that the computer looked like a safe bet and savings were amazing. I'm gonna go through with this, thank you so much Storm. NS:) Dad's gonna discuss the computer with me further when he gets home, but hopefully my mom will finally understand that she SERIOUSLY will be liberating herself by allowing another computer. Speakers are no biggie, my dad's friend said he plugs the computer into his radio stereo for sound at work, ha, ha.
Chuey
428 and Chuey
428 and Chuey

PreviousNext

Return to The Support Center