Welcome
Hey guys, welcome to the NSider Community, a Nintendo gaming forum! Our most popular discussions are Pokémon, Super Smash Brothers, and free discussion at our Restaurant. But don't be deceived; you will not get your food! I hope you join in our discussions today here at NSC.

Mike's Book Recommendations

Relax and admire or admonish the various media of today.

Mike's Book Recommendations

Postby Baconator25 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:36 pm

So, the review corner looked like it needed a little life, so I decided to write some thoughts I have on a book after I read it. This will be helpful for anyone who may be walking through the library one day and you'll see one of the books and be like "zomg Mike said this was a good book, I should check it out!". My list is going to start small, beginning with books I have read this year and will exponentially grow over time.

Just a quick note I'm the type of reader who well, likes whatever book I read. It's really rare for me to dislike a book, so don't expect me to give a lot of literary works an orange or red rating.

Update: I've added a new feature of personal recommendations. I sent a PM out to most people asking them a little about what kind of literature they like. Most people haven't replied, but to the people that did, I will write their names in the section at the bottom of the book

Green = Highly Recommended
Blue = Recommended
Yellow = Selectively Recommended ("If you're into this")
Orange = Not Highly Recommended
Red = NO!

Rule of the Bone by Russell Banks: If I had to give a description of this book in a few words, I'd call it a "lower-class Catcher in the Rye." Chappie, the main characters is very similar in the way he thinks and acts to Holden Caufield. Chappie however, unlike Holden, is very poor and addicted to drugs. I liked book a lot as it contained all the elements I look for in a book, such as knowing exactly what the characters thinking at every point in time.
Recommended For: everyone, really...

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis: I found this book difficult, especially at first. It's about these, two devil spirits, a novice tempter, Wormwood and an experienced tempter, Screwtape. Screwtape is writing letters to Wormwood giving it advice on how to lead it's victim away from Christianity and morality. As I said up there, I'm the type of reader who likes basically every single book I read, so I did like this book, even though I struggled through parts of it and would sometimes find myself a bit confused if I spaced out for even a sentence or two. In Screwtape's letter's, he does a lot of what I really like; vivid descriptions. Everything that can go wrong and everything that can be done that can go right is explained in detail. This is always something that I like in a book.
Recommended For: AB. I was thinking of him while I was reading the book, actually. I definitely think this a book he would enjoy.

{The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel} Series by Michael Scott: Some of you may reconize the name in the title, Nicholas Flamel. He's the guy from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone who invented the Sorcerer's Stone and was immortal. At first I thought the story was going to be based off of him, a Harry Potter character. After finishing the book, I found out that Flamel was a real person, which both this book and the Harry Potter character were based off of.
At first, I honestly did not like this book at all. Flamel isn't the main character; Sophie and Josh, these two ordinary twins are. Flamel is supposed to be guarding this sacred book, called the Codex, but it's stolen and the twins get caught up in helping Flamel get it back. The book really picks up as you read it and I liked it a lot. The first book in the series is titled "The Alchemyst". The other books are The Magician, The Sorceress, The Necromancer, The Warlock and The Enchanter. Only The Magician and The Sorceress are out yet and The Necromancer comes out in May.
I was going to do a review for each book independently, but decided it'd be better if I put the whole series into one. I've read the first three so far. They're all amazing. My personal favorite is probably the second one.
Recommended For: Rai

The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger: What can I say? I love this book. It's about this kid named Holden, who.. meh I don't know how to describe it... Just read it. :) You know EXACTLY what's going through Holden's mind at every point in the book. I like this. I like to know exactly what someone is thinking. I can also relate to a lot of his thoughts. I don't know what to say about it. Just read it.
Recommended For: Everyone :)

1984 by George Orwell: This is a very fascinating novel about a Dystopian world in which the government is constantly altering the past and will take you away if you give even the slightest sign of countering views of their views, even something as little as a look on your face. I thought the novel was very good. The idea that one person managed to think up this whole society really amazed me. My problems with the book are, well, I think it was a little above my reading level. There were lots and lots and lots of big words and I found myself sometimes feeling a little lost and confused. I also felt it took awhile to take off. I was very bored of the book in the beginning and found it hard to sit down and read it. Overall, I thought the novel was very well written and fascinating and I would recommend it.
Recommended For: I know AB read this already... and he's one of the only ones who sent the PM back to me...

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky: YES! This book is absolutely amazing. One of my favorite books I've ever read. It's about this kid, who's very, well, unique in a sense.. and kinda awkward, and well he's writing these letters to an anonymous person telling them what he sees and feels. I honestly could not put the book down and finished it in a single day. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone. Edit: I just remembered this. In the first half or so of this book, I swear to God the main character is RM. If you ever want to read a book about RM, just read the first part of Perks.
Recommended For: Anyone who liked Catcher in the Rye

Spidertown by Abraham Rodriguez Jr.: Well, this book is out of print, so I don't really expect anyone to come across this. I liked this book. I know some other people that read it and didn't like it, though. It's about this teen who lives in the Bronx (in the ghetto you can say) and he's a drug runner. He then meets this girl, who doesn't like people associated with drugs and all that and he's conflicted between the two of them. Should he leave the girl or leave the drug game behind? I would say this book is worth reading. Not one of my favorite books of all time, but is a good read. EDIT: Lotsalotsa sex
Recommended For: No one yet.

(The Tempest would be next, but I don't think I should be writing reviews of Shakespeare's works since I'm not very familiar with it and find it hard to give it a chance while I'm reading it.)

Syrup
by Maxx Barry: This is another book I love. It's a fiction story and the writing style is what I based my little piece on the NSC Blog off of. It's a satirical comedy about a guy who comes up this an idea for a new beverage for Coka-Cola, called "Fukk". I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a quick, fun read of a funny and entertaining book. I'm pretty sure this book is also out of print, though...
Recommended For: LF, AB (I would recommend this to like anyone, really.)

Waiting For Godot by Samuel Beckett: This is a short play in which, well, nothing happens. The play is centered around the nothing and it's about the main characters.. waiting and trying to pass the time. There's a lot of symbolism and metaphorical themes in the play. This is not a work that you'd want to read on your own. I hated it when I first read it. When I went over it with my class though (it was assigned for my English class), and we went over the major themes of the play, I developed a new found respect for the work.
Recommended For: If anyone, AB

The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling: I know a lot of you have read this already. For the few of you who haven't, please go read it now. The whole series is simply amazing. Rowling does a spectacular jobs at capturing and conveying the mood of the wizarding world. My personal favorite book of the series was the 6th, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince". Even if you don't enjoy reading, I promise you if you give this series a chance from the start that you will thoroughly enjoy it.
Recommended For: Anyone, really.

Upcoming Reviews (Once I finish reading/rereading them, that is):
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon
Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger

I expect this thread to get no replies, but if anyone has anything to say, it'd be much appreciated.
Last edited by Baconator25 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 19 times in total.
^^I want to be cool and have one of these!
Baconator25
Alpha Metroid
Alpha Metroid

Have thanks: 13 time
Highscores: 29

Re: Mike's Book Recommendations

Postby LaTerry » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:46 pm

And now there are more books on my "Do want" list. I'd heard of that play Waiting for Godot when I was in AP English, though we never read it. Perhaps I'll look it up.
Barak Obama is going to take that away from you!
He can try!
=D
ImageImage
The most awesome website eva!
LaTerry
Waddle Doo
Waddle Doo

Have thanks: 1 time
Highscores: 2

Postby Baconator25 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:04 pm

My recommendation of 1984 is up. I'm going to begin re-reading Catcher in the Rye for the book club in a little bit. I read the book last year, so I can tell you it's one of my "highly recommended" books already.

After that will probably be "The Screwtape Letters" which I'm supposed to be reading as an "outside reading book" for my English class... if the library ever notifies me since I requested it a week ago. ._.
Baconator25
Alpha Metroid
Alpha Metroid

Postby Baconator25 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:00 pm

I've updated the list with two more recommendations of two amazing books. Comments are always welcome.
Baconator25
Alpha Metroid
Alpha Metroid

Postby Luigi_Freak_The_23rd » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:23 am

Tomorrow I am going to check out Syrup. I'll tell you what I think if I actually get around to reading it (And if I find it)
Luigi_Freak_The_23rd wrote:Poor Watermelon gods couldn't didn't see it coming

Image NS:|
Luigi_Freak_The_23rd
Wendell
Wendell

Have thanks: 5 time
Highscores: 11

Return to Media Terrace