Welcome
Hey guys, welcome to the NSider Community, a Nintendo gaming forum! Our most popular discussions are Pokémon, Super Smash Brothers, and free discussion at our Restaurant. But don't be deceived; you will not get your food! I hope you join in our discussions today here at NSC.

Offshore drilling and the recent oil rig disaster

The deepest conversations are moving, inspired, and sometimes touchy. Take a break from the bustling world for a minute and speak from the heart.

Offshore drilling and the recent oil rig disaster

Postby Storm39 » Mon May 03, 2010 1:46 am

As many are aware, what is potentially the worst oil spill in the world is currently happening. Here is a map of it to put it into perspective.

Unless you've lived under a rock for the past 2 years or so, you're also probably aware of the pro-oil stance of the right-wing, particularly McCain and Palin with their famous "Drill baby drill!" catchphrase. I've noticed they've been awfully silent about this incident.

So basically, is this proof that offshore drilling is dangerous, or is it just a freak accident that will probably never happen again?
Storm39
Tingle
Tingle

Have thanks: 2 time
Highscores: 3

Re: Offshore drilling and the recent oil rig disaster

Postby Calico_Lover » Mon May 03, 2010 6:17 am

Everything carries a certain danger, and oil drilling itself is quite dangerous. You can't make something totally safe, you can only make people less stupid.
ImageImageImage
Calico_Lover
Administrator
Administrator

Have thanks: 6 time
Highscores: 26

Postby PichuBro4 » Mon May 03, 2010 5:41 pm

Yes this is indeed a terrible incident. However, these things happen with every occupation. Many people die mining for all sorts of things we want and use on a daily basis. However we continue it because we need what they are mining for. We need oil, and if offshore drilling is a means of getting it ourselves than by all means. To be so reliant on Middle Eastern oil is not good at all.

Lastly, I'd like to say this. Don't make a thread about a serious matter to make personal attacks on members of a political party/ the party itself.
PichuBro4
Moblin
Moblin

Location: I'm sorry, you need an NSC GOLD ACCOUNT to view this information.
Have thanks: 3 time
Highscores: 3

Postby AlakazamBrain » Tue May 04, 2010 5:43 pm

Well, here's what I'll say. What this disaster proves really is how poorly this was handled. We should always strive to make things better, safer, etc., but as PichuBro4 put it, this is not always possible. You can't necessarily make something 100% hazard proof, but you can come pretty close. However, if something like this happens, a few things should happen. First off, the disaster should not be made worse by more oil escaping. Second, it should be cleaned up immediately without question. Third, the situtation should be analyzed and investigated before continuing operations.

None of this happened did it? :P Oil is still leaking, the oil is still spreading... this is bad. There was no sense of responsibility in the company if they were not prepared to stop the oil from leaking and were not prepared to clean up the oil mess.

As for the politics in it all, it does sort of show a bit about how unsafe the drilling is, but it more emphasizes what actions we need to take to prevent things like this.
Chuey wrote:I know you enjoy screwing with me. >_>

AlakazamBrain
Jack
Jack

Have thanks: 4 time
Highscores: 22

Return to The Fireplace