Welcome
Hey guys, welcome to the NSider Community, a Nintendo gaming forum! Our most popular discussions are Pokémon, Super Smash Brothers, and free discussion at our Restaurant. But don't be deceived; you will not get your food! I hope you join in our discussions today here at NSC.

Ontario's Sexual Education Curriculum Gets a Facelift

The deepest conversations are moving, inspired, and sometimes touchy. Take a break from the bustling world for a minute and speak from the heart.

Ontario's Sexual Education Curriculum Gets a Facelift

Postby AlakazamBrain » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:39 pm

Alright two disclaimers. Disclaimer one: I don't care about the sticky Chuey made in this board, this is different. Disclaimer two: if you have questions, you can privately ask them (ie. PM), but I'm not trying to teach sex ed here.

Alright, so Ontario is revamping/changing/modifying its sexual education curriculum, and some say it is too much too soon. This gives a quick idea of when things would be taught in Ontario:

Grade 3
- gender identity
- sexual orientation

Grade 5
- reproductive system
- puberty

Grade 6
- masturbation
- oral and anal sex

Grade 7
-contraceptives
- STDs, including HIV/AIDS

Alright, so some parent groups are arguing that this is too much and too soon. They say it is "corrupting young minds" with "sexually explicit material." The government argues that the children now have the information with the Internet and what not, so we might as well be teaching them. Parent groups also argue that the parent should be able to control what their child knows and does not know (and when).

So what do you think? What should be taught in schools and when should it be taught?

Personally, I agree with the new curriculum. It addresses everything that should be taught. The information is out there for kids; if you don't teach it it turns into a taboo subject. Children should know what it means to call something "gay," as chances are they will say "that's so gay" a lot. By teaching information to kids, they will know exactly what it is and it helps remove the taboo from it. As for parents who want to control what their kids know... they already know more than you think.
Chuey wrote:I know you enjoy screwing with me. >_>

AlakazamBrain
Jack
Jack

Have thanks: 4 time
Highscores: 22

Re: Ontario's Sexual Education Curriculum Gets a Facelift

Postby AlakazamBrain » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:53 pm

As this thread is obviously the talk of the town, I thought I'd post that Ontario's government has now shifted on the issue. It will not be changing the curriculum after uproar from parent lobby groups and some religious lobby groups.

AlakazamBrain
Jack
Jack

Postby Storm39 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:13 pm

The fact that this was even considered shows how much more advanced your country is than mine culturally. Half of those things aren't even taught in America, and the few that are usually aren't taught until high school.
Storm39
Tingle
Tingle

Have thanks: 2 time
Highscores: 3

Postby Chuey » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:32 pm

I must be completely honest and say two of those bullets I'm not very knowledgeable of at all. You can probably guess too. :-[ Not that that's a bad thing though, America just doesn't teach things like that. When I first looked at this thread and then never responded to it, I had an opinion that this was a nice move. Sure, the thought of ten-year-olds taking the 'positions' on after this may be a haunting thought but one of the worst things we can make as well as it being one of the best things we can make, is a mistake. I suppose this is more of an assumption but there are probably more sexual-related troubles in America than Canada or hopefully after this move.

I still have a book from my parents called "Let's Talk About SEX" (yes it was in capitals) I got for my 12th birthday so I've been planning to crack it out when my parents are gone. It's been there for questions and I finally have some. <_<
Chuey
428 and Chuey
428 and Chuey

Have thanks: 9 time
Highscores: 24

Postby AlakazamBrain » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:47 pm

Glad to see some people have responded! :)

As for Storm's comment, I would not say Canada is more "culturally advanced," simply more open. It is the idea that kids should know what this stuff is rather than attempt to protect them from it.

Chuey, you did make a good point. It is not necessarily a bad thing to not know. However, should you know? If there is some sort of slang word you hear and you don't know what it means, what do you do? Often, we do not ask the person who used the word what it means; rather, we try and find out for ourselves. We consult things like urban dictionary to find out what they mean. Does urban dictionary tell us exactly what it is? It gives us a pretty good idea, but chances are we won't know everything. What was the point of this last bit? We search for information we don't know... because we need to know it. You admit to doing that yourself with your book (which is absolutely fine, nothing is wrong with doing that). If we can get our education system to actually teach us these things, then everyone knows what it is. We also know exactly what it is. We want to know, but because it is such a touchy issue, we won't ask (you admit to having to wait until your parents are gone). This truly is one of those things that needs to be taught to us as we want to know, but won't admit we want to know.

AlakazamBrain
Jack
Jack

Postby Storm39 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:03 pm

AlakazamBrain wrote:Glad to see some people have responded! :)

As for Storm's comment, I would not say Canada is more "culturally advanced," simply more open. It is the idea that kids should know what this stuff is rather than attempt to protect them from it.

I live in California (which is much more socially progressive than the typical state), and only 3 of those things are taught. The fact that those things were even proposed in Canada is a pretty big deal to me as an American, where those things will probably never even reach the proposal stage, at least not for decades.
Storm39
Tingle
Tingle

Have thanks: 2 time
Highscores: 3

Postby Roboryantron » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:30 am

Hmm, let's see... In my school we just finished Grade 3 (and I'm in 8th). Now, I'm pretty sure a lot of people in my grade know what most of this stuff is, but like you said, based on what something like Urban Dictionary says. I think that's too soon to teach some of that stuff.
Roboryantron
Treecko
Treecko

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby AlakazamBrain » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:26 pm

The proposal of teaching grade 3 students about sexuality was one of the big controversies of this (that and grade 6, which I personally don't really see a problem with teaching). However, you aren't really teaching kids anything about sex [in grade 3]. You are teaching kids that there are people who will love people of the same gender, people who love people of both genders, and people who are a woman on the outside, but a man on the inside. By teaching this early, we also teach them to accept people who fall in this category. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what "some of that stuff" refers to, so I simply decided to defend the plan for teaching grade 3s.

AlakazamBrain
Jack
Jack

Postby LegacyStrike » Mon May 17, 2010 6:51 am

Grade 6 seems completely unnecessary, and actually inappropriate. Why teach kids masturbation, they'll find out on their own. It's not harming anyone, and you don't need to know about it.

Also, the whole subject on oral and anal sex just seems like more detail to something that isn't needed. It's sex, what more do you need to know? If you had to you can teach about every kind of thing you can do in sex, but what would be the point of that?
LegacyStrike
Mudkip
Mudkip

Have thanks: 1 time
Highscores: 1

Postby AlakazamBrain » Mon May 17, 2010 4:47 pm

Well, just to make a few things clear, I listed the main changes that were proposed, not the entire curriculum. A class is not going to spend two weeks solely discussing masturbation :P. The point of teaching it to kids does a few things. First off, it removes the taboo of the subject. If adults will talk about it, kids will realize it is no big deal. Second, it gives everyone the same knowledge. Everyone will know what it is and understand it. Specifically commenting on oral and anal sex, that's about extending the idea of sexual activities; however, it is also about educating people. Although you and I may know more, someone who is in grade 6 might not know much about oral sex. Chances are, they have an idea about how it is done, but there is a good chance they will have questions. Questions like, "can you get pregnant" or "can you get AIDS by doing that?" With it in the curriculum, these questions will get answered correctly.

AlakazamBrain
Jack
Jack

Next

Return to The Fireplace