Welcome
Hey guys, welcome to the NSider Community, a Nintendo gaming forum! Our most popular discussions are Pokémon, Super Smash Brothers, and free discussion at our Restaurant. But don't be deceived; you will not get your food! I hope you join in our discussions today here at NSC.

The NSC Book Club

The meals inspire every topic under the sun. Free your mind, say what you like! Fries are $3.99!

Re: The NSC Book Club

Postby Baconator25 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:25 pm

Alright, I think two weeks is adequate time for reading Catcher. Discussion will be on Saturday.

If you haven't started reading, it's not a very long book and finishing by Saturday is plausible.
^^I want to be cool and have one of these!
Baconator25
Alpha Metroid
Alpha Metroid

Have thanks: 13 time
Highscores: 29

Postby Baconator25 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:52 pm

So, I do hope people read and I do hope people that read will take place in the discussion...

Well, what did you guys think of the book? I love the book, it's honestly one of my favorite books ever. This was my second time reading it. I really like Holden. I feel I can relate to a lot of the things he says. One of the things that I liked so much about the book is that you know what he's thinking at every single moment. I enjoy reading his thoughts ramble about things completely irrelevant to what's going on.

urgh there was so much more I had wanted to type up and completely forgot. I'll edit this when it comes back to me. I doubt anyone's even going to see this until morning and I'm sure no one is going to reply.
^^I want to be cool and have one of these!
Baconator25
Alpha Metroid
Alpha Metroid

Have thanks: 13 time
Highscores: 29

Postby AlakazamBrain » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:02 am

Well, just as a little note, I am indeed currently reading the catcher in the rye, but I haven't finished it (sorry about that). I have read about two-thirds. I'll join the discussions probably tuesday/wednesdayish.
Chuey wrote:I know you enjoy screwing with me. >_>

AlakazamBrain
Jack
Jack

Have thanks: 4 time
Highscores: 22

Postby AlakazamBrain » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:11 pm

Okay, so I said Tuesday, I meant today :P. I just sat down and read the book (it's a good book). I could understand why Holden is such a lovable character, and I have to say there are parts of me that can relate to him. Holden has this rebellious spirit and refuses to give in to the norm. You have to respect that.

I suppose I'll try and think of somethings to discuss with the book (ps. spoiler warning and such). Well, I guess I'll start off by mentioning Holden's usage of the word "phony." Let's face it, it comes up a lot. Holden has this very strong desire to be genuine to who he is, and believe people who aren't who they are are phony. However, his error in this is that he is too self-centred. He believes that what he is the way people are supposed to be. If you aren't like him, you are phony. If you don't like things he likes, you are phony. Holden refers to a bunch of performances of people as phony, but for various reasons. Sometimes the performances are too elaborate. Sometimes the performances are too good to be human. Sometimes, he just doesn't like the perfomance. Also, Holden may have some slight jealousy of phony traits, and tries to tone down his own jealousy by calling them phony. As a final note for this post, what I found interesting is that characters lost their phoniness (if that's a word) if Holden has just left them or if they left. For example, Allie, James Castle (I think that was his name), and his former English teacher whose name begins with an A and I can't remember the name are not described as phony, and in fact are respected.
Chuey wrote:I know you enjoy screwing with me. >_>

AlakazamBrain
Jack
Jack

Have thanks: 4 time
Highscores: 22

Postby Luigi_Freak_The_23rd » Tue May 26, 2015 4:27 am

I finally got a copy. Is it too late to join?
Luigi_Freak_The_23rd wrote:Poor Watermelon gods couldn't didn't see it coming

Image NS:|
Luigi_Freak_The_23rd
Wendell
Wendell

Have thanks: 5 time
Highscores: 11

Postby Chuey » Tue May 26, 2015 5:43 am

Haha, I remember this thread. I actually read Catcher in my junior year ('11-'12). I wonder if I have any documents I wrote about the book on my hard drive from back then.
Chuey
428 and Chuey
428 and Chuey

Have thanks: 9 time
Highscores: 24

Previous

Return to The Restaurant