Welcome
Hey guys, welcome to the NSider Community, a Nintendo gaming forum! Our most popular discussions are Pokémon, Super Smash Brothers, and free discussion at our Restaurant. But don't be deceived; you will not get your food! I hope you join in our discussions today here at NSC.

What a Jerk Move...

There are many superb games that are not made by Nintendo. Share your experiences with them here!

What a Jerk Move...

Postby Darkbuster13 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:38 pm

So recently I went to GameStop and pre-ordered the game Monster Hunter Tri (3). I gotta say, the pre-order bonuses are pretty sweet.

With the Pre-order of the game, You not only get five bucks off of the games price when it comes in, but you also get a 500 Wii Points Card, and a Demo Disc (While supplies last, of course) of the game to hold you over. Not only that, but for just $10 more you can get a Classic Controller Pro ($20 value) bundled with the game.

So in the end for what would have cost $70 total, comes out to $50 (or for what is $50, you get for $40). Basically, it's "Pre-order the game and Buy this Card and we will throw in a free controller and a demo disc!" Awesome!

So as you can guess, I'm pretty much itching to give this demo a shot, but unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity, yet (Busy with homework yesterday, and currently my sibling is hosting a party in the room where the Wii is, and from the sounds of it Mario Kart seems like a main attraction). So instead I've been trying to look up information on the game to get myself hyped.

And that's when I came across this little article. (Clicky)

So apparently, the demo actually ISN'T part of the pre-order bonuses. Your just supposed to be able to swoop in, snag one, give the game a shot and hopefully like what you see and come back later to pre-order the sucker.

But no one told GameStop that apparently. According to some of the later comments on the article, they've been using it a another part of the pre-order deal. And now that I think about it, there were way too many discs left in the display at the store where I pre-ordered for them to just be saying "Take one! Try it out! Absolutely free! Come back and pre-order it if you like it!"

The more I think about that, the more it kind of bugs me. Why should a demo of a game be given out as a pre-order bonus? Maybe for a big name game in an established franchise where it's going to sell boat loads with or without it, I can see it being a good move. But Monster Hunter? The only reason the franchise established itself was because it was huge in Japan. Heck, if you hadn't heard about the game before this post, I wouldn't be surprised! With a game like this, wouldn't you want as many people to give it a try? That way not only would you get the fans who would have gone through hell or high water to get the game, but you would get the people who played the demo and were impressed by what it had to offer.

Instead, GameStop is going to try to score a quick buck and cement pre-orders, offering the demo as an exclusive item. True, you can just cancel the pre-order after obtaining the demo and be on your merry way, but the amount of potential players who don't realize that will just deny the demo due to it being locked into the pre-order.

So in the end, I guess it's just sort of a stupid move GameStop is doing, and it may likely hurt the sales of this game. Why do I care so much? Well, other than the BS "Supporting core games on Wii" nonsense, I don't know. I was already going to pre-ordered it, and I was going to pick up a demo anyway. Just something I was thinking about today.

If you actually read this from top to bottom, than why are you so bored, and have a cookie for taking the time to read and putting up with me. Thank you.
"Those are some nice BOWLING SHOES." -President Obama

"La risa que procede de leve causa es tontería."
Darkbuster13
Tingle
Tingle

Have thanks: 6 time
Highscores: 24

Return to Non-Nintendo Discussion