Welcome
Hey guys, welcome to the NSider Community, a Nintendo gaming forum! Our most popular discussions are Pokémon, Super Smash Brothers, and free discussion at our Restaurant. But don't be deceived; you will not get your food! I hope you join in our discussions today here at NSC.

Parents To Blame?

The deepest conversations are moving, inspired, and sometimes touchy. Take a break from the bustling world for a minute and speak from the heart.

Parents To Blame?

Postby Chuey » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:07 pm

Well, Norman or myself were bound to end up posting about this eventually. Recently, in South Hadley, Massachusetts, there was a girl who committed suicide thanks to bullying. It has made national news, so I'm sure many of you have heard about it. There were 6 primary students involved in the bullying case, and they themselves got bullied after better word of the case got out. An interesting proposal regarding the case was whether or not the parents of the students who inspired this hanging should be brought to court. So, think about it.

Parents are some of the most inspirational people in the lives of children. Whether it be behavior, interests, career goals, and so on, negative influences in a child's earlier years will usually impact them later on in life in a negative way. If these six young adults are going to be bullying a girl to their death, they may have been given negative mindsets from their parents. But should the adults really be given blame? I personally don't agree with that; in the end, it's the child's choice to act in such a way. Although the parents may have been a negative influence, it was not the parent themselves that caused a young girl to feel such stress to commit a crime against herself (I also don't feel suicide should be a crime but that's a personal opinion, even though I don't believe in suicide). My dad brought an interesting analogy to my attention: does a gun kill a person? No. It's a person that kills another person. A gun can sit on a table and be no threat. It's a threat when someone picks it up.

So what are your thoughts on not only this entire fiasco but the idea of the parents getting involved in the delinquency case?
Chuey
428 and Chuey
428 and Chuey

Have thanks: 9 time
Highscores: 24

Re: Parents To Blame?

Postby Roboryantron » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:39 pm

Something tells me the parents didn't tell their kids to make fun of people. This could hardly be the parents fault. I doubt they even knew their kids did this sort of stuff.
Roboryantron
Treecko
Treecko

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby AlakazamBrain » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:19 pm

I have not heard of this story, but I'll comment based on what you said.

I'm not sure how old this girl was, and it is significant. Suicides by anyone is serious reason for concern, but it is especially serious if the child is under the age of 10. The reason for this is that young children really do not have the means to commit suicide, and their ability to commit suicide so young is a reason for great concern. It is unfortunate that it is usually the same groups of people that commit suicide, usually due to social exclusion.

Now, continuing. Is it the parents' fault? Well, yes and no. No as in these children chose to bully. Again, I am unaware of ages, but they made that decision. No one else did. Yes as in where are the parents? Where are the teachers? Where is anyone? This isn't a one day thing. She would not commit suicide after one day of being socially excluded. This is a chronic thing. She would have been repeatedly bullied and tormented. Where is a teacher to intervene and defend the girl. All it takes is a teacher to do something and things are fine. Don't tell me that a teacher didn't know something; the kids are constantly supervised. Where are the parents? Have they not taught their kids how to behave and what to do if a child is bullied? Obviously not.

So ultimately, should the parents' be brought to court? Of course not. Are they at fault? No. Could they have done something? Absolutely.
Chuey wrote:I know you enjoy screwing with me. >_>

AlakazamBrain
Jack
Jack

Have thanks: 4 time
Highscores: 22

Postby Chuey » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:35 pm

The girl being bullied was 15 and a freshman in high school. The majority of those bullying her were 16. The teachers said they didn't know of anything until a week before she hanged herself, but as many prosecutors say, "Pfffft." Here's a recent article update on the case. If I knew where to look for a collaboration of all the details, I'd find it and post it here.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36263424/ns ... nd_courts/
Chuey
428 and Chuey
428 and Chuey

Have thanks: 9 time
Highscores: 24

Postby AlakazamBrain » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:21 pm

Thanks for that Chuey. It was very insightful.

Alright, so the girl was a little bit older than I infered, but similar issues arise. I could understand, in high school, teachers being less aware of bullying. However, it is made quite clear that the administration did know about this. Things have to get pretty bad for a high school student to ask for protection from the school. The administration handled the situation poorly. It really seems like no one offered her much needed support. It is pretty obvious the administration did not offer her any support, and the school did not offer any protection.

Anyway, now as for the whole point of this thread. With kids aged sixteen, of course parent's aren't responsible. By golly, parents obviously influence a child's growth and development, but at sixteen children are already making decisions of there own.
Chuey wrote:I know you enjoy screwing with me. >_>

AlakazamBrain
Jack
Jack

Have thanks: 4 time
Highscores: 22

Return to The Fireplace