Welcome
Hey guys, welcome to the NSider Community, a Nintendo gaming forum! Our most popular discussions are Pokémon, Super Smash Brothers, and free discussion at our Restaurant. But don't be deceived; you will not get your food! I hope you join in our discussions today here at NSC.

School Fundraising Taken to the Next Level

The deepest conversations are moving, inspired, and sometimes touchy. Take a break from the bustling world for a minute and speak from the heart.

School Fundraising Taken to the Next Level

Postby AlakazamBrain » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:23 pm

So, a middle school had to come up with a brilliant fundraising plan, since last year's chocolate fundraiser didn't go so well.

So what do they decide to sell? Marks.

No, really. For $20, you can get 20 test marks. You choose two tests, and 10 "points" are added to each test. For some, this might be the difference between passing and failing, or the boost needed to get their parents to fulfill that promise of a luxurious vacation if they got 90%.

So, do you think it is ethical to sell marks? Would you partake in this fundraiser?

In my opinion, it isn't the direct ethics of marks that bugs me, but the fact you are putting a value on how well someone does. You are essentially saying that each mark is worth a dollar. That is the direct value of it. I personally think that a good mark on a test is too much of an abstract concept to give a concrete value. As for whether I would partake, I probably would :P. Heck I'd love a little boost to my mark, I mean, who wouldn't? Sure, I disagree with it, but it given the opportunity to help the school and raise my mark, why not?
Image
Image
Chuey wrote:I know you enjoy screwing with me. >_>

Image
User avatar
AlakazamBrain
Jack
Jack
 
Posts: 3270
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:28 pm
Location: Where the river narrows
Has thanked: 6 time
Have thanks: 4 time
Highscores: 22

Re: School Fundraising Taken to the Next Level

Postby Dragon6534 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:28 pm

Ugh, I hate fundraisers and people like this. This just further proves that people with money can abuse the system to get what they don't deserve from it, in this case, extra points on a test. What's the point of trying for a 100% if you can just pay to boost your grade? Of course, it's only 10 extra points, but the ethics of this still irritates me nonetheless.

I'm not sure why, but your example, IMO, just makes this worse for me.
Image
Image
User avatar
Dragon6534
Wario
Wario
 
Posts: 1771
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: A place.
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 1 time
Highscores: 2

Re: School Fundraising Taken to the Next Level

Postby AlakazamBrain » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:31 pm

Dragon6534 wrote:Ugh, I hate fundraisers and people like this. This just further proves that people with money can abuse the system to get what they don't deserve from it, in this case, extra points on a test. What's the point of trying for a 100% if you can just pay to boost your grade? Of course, it's only 10 extra points, but the ethics of this still irritates me nonetheless.

I'm not sure why, but your example, IMO, just makes this worse for me.

You mean the parents who promise the luxurious vacation? To make things clear, they sure aren't my parents :P

You defintely raise a good point about the fact that it does discriminate against lower income households. As a note, I have no clue in what type of neighbourhood the school that is doing this is located.
Image
Image
Chuey wrote:I know you enjoy screwing with me. >_>

Image
User avatar
AlakazamBrain
Jack
Jack
 
Posts: 3270
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:28 pm
Location: Where the river narrows
Has thanked: 6 time
Have thanks: 4 time
Highscores: 22

Re: School Fundraising Taken to the Next Level

Postby Baconator25 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:31 pm

I do not think this is ethical. It's wrong to buy grades... You're not earning your mark then. You mark is based on how much money you donate and not as to how well you preform in school.

As for weather I'd participate or not... - - - -, I need to points. I would do it.
Image
Image
^^I want to be cool and have one of these!
User avatar
Baconator25
Alpha Metroid
Alpha Metroid
 
Posts: 3849
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: The road to LF's house to get ice cream
Has thanked: 224 time
Have thanks: 13 time
Highscores: 29

Re: School Fundraising Taken to the Next Level

Postby Chuey » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:36 pm

In eighth grade, a social studies class one time ago, our teacher offered to us the idea that the school had allowed you to buy points for a test. Ten cents for ten points. Yes, a dollar could get you to ace a test. Our whole class got outraged. Eventually, we ended up being showed to a section in our work-in book where people could buy status hundreds of years ago and everyone started laughing. Our teacher BURST out laughing at all of us, then told us how she had to try incredibly hard not to laugh and ruin it. Then the next day we told Zach about it and he came in a day or two later with more than five dollars. When we eventually told him it was false he was bent out of shape and nearly in tears, lmao. xD

I hate the idea of buying grades. Those who deserve a good grade should have it, and those who don't should have to work for it. I would not participate in this at all, but I have a 78 in geometry. If it crept lower after me slowly raising it a point at a time, which it might in a day or so due to this test I just took, I might be desperate enough to give in to something like this...
Image
User avatar
Chuey
428 and Chuey
428 and Chuey
 
Posts: 20654
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:13 pm
Location: New York City or Western MA
Has thanked: 3 time
Have thanks: 9 time
Highscores: 24

Re: School Fundraising Taken to the Next Level

Postby Roboryantron » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:39 pm

Well, it's only middle school, your college won't look there. This is more of a thing for, like you said, getting the grades you promised your parents. If this was in high school, it shouldn't be done, but it's just middle school.

As to if I would partake in this, I'd certaintly like to spend a little allowance money to raise a few grades in Earth Science and Health...
Image
User avatar
Roboryantron
Treecko
Treecko
 
Posts: 4335
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:36 pm
Location: Those are some mad poofy pants
Has thanked: 5 time
Have thanks: 1 time

Re: School Fundraising Taken to the Next Level

Postby AlakazamBrain » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:11 pm

Roboryantron wrote:Well, it's only middle school, your college won't look there. This is more of a thing for, like you said, getting the grades you promised your parents. If this was in high school, it shouldn't be done, but it's just middle school.

As to if I would partake in this, I'd certaintly like to spend a little allowance money to raise a few grades in Earth Science and Health...

As a note, the school did actually argue a similar point. They said that this was middle school, so there was no real significant effect in the long term. If it was high school, you would have outrage from other students who do not have this opportunity. If it meant increasing the chances of getting into med school at Harvard, of course everyone would buy marks. You'd have people with 103% applying :P.

Those in opposition, of course, argue that you give kids the wrong message by allowing them to buy grades.
Image
Image
Chuey wrote:I know you enjoy screwing with me. >_>

Image
User avatar
AlakazamBrain
Jack
Jack
 
Posts: 3270
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:28 pm
Location: Where the river narrows
Has thanked: 6 time
Have thanks: 4 time
Highscores: 22

Re: School Fundraising Taken to the Next Level

Postby Roboryantron » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:03 pm

AlakazamBrain wrote:
Roboryantron wrote:Well, it's only middle school, your college won't look there. This is more of a thing for, like you said, getting the grades you promised your parents. If this was in high school, it shouldn't be done, but it's just middle school.

As to if I would partake in this, I'd certaintly like to spend a little allowance money to raise a few grades in Earth Science and Health...

As a note, the school did actually argue a similar point. They said that this was middle school, so there was no real significant effect in the long term. If it was high school, you would have outrage from other students who do not have this opportunity. If it meant increasing the chances of getting into med school at Harvard, of course everyone would buy marks. You'd have people with 103% applying :P.

Those in opposition, of course, argue that you give kids the wrong message by allowing them to buy grades.

Well, an average above 100 wouldn't show up on a grade transcript, it would just show a 100.
Image
User avatar
Roboryantron
Treecko
Treecko
 
Posts: 4335
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:36 pm
Location: Those are some mad poofy pants
Has thanked: 5 time
Have thanks: 1 time

Re: School Fundraising Taken to the Next Level

Postby AlakazamBrain » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:24 pm

Roboryantron wrote:
AlakazamBrain wrote:
Roboryantron wrote:Well, it's only middle school, your college won't look there. This is more of a thing for, like you said, getting the grades you promised your parents. If this was in high school, it shouldn't be done, but it's just middle school.

As to if I would partake in this, I'd certaintly like to spend a little allowance money to raise a few grades in Earth Science and Health...

As a note, the school did actually argue a similar point. They said that this was middle school, so there was no real significant effect in the long term. If it was high school, you would have outrage from other students who do not have this opportunity. If it meant increasing the chances of getting into med school at Harvard, of course everyone would buy marks. You'd have people with 103% applying :P.

Those in opposition, of course, argue that you give kids the wrong message by allowing them to buy grades.

Well, an average above 100 wouldn't show up on a grade transcript, it would just show a 100.

It's true, but with the whole ivy league, I'm sure if you could somehow find a way to squeeze in there you got 103% in the course, you would.

A few years ago, someone (not in my grade) got 101% in math... that was pretty impressive...
Image
Image
Chuey wrote:I know you enjoy screwing with me. >_>

Image
User avatar
AlakazamBrain
Jack
Jack
 
Posts: 3270
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:28 pm
Location: Where the river narrows
Has thanked: 6 time
Have thanks: 4 time
Highscores: 22

Re: School Fundraising Taken to the Next Level

Postby Roboryantron » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:30 pm

AlakazamBrain wrote:
Roboryantron wrote:
AlakazamBrain wrote:
Roboryantron wrote:Well, it's only middle school, your college won't look there. This is more of a thing for, like you said, getting the grades you promised your parents. If this was in high school, it shouldn't be done, but it's just middle school.

As to if I would partake in this, I'd certaintly like to spend a little allowance money to raise a few grades in Earth Science and Health...

As a note, the school did actually argue a similar point. They said that this was middle school, so there was no real significant effect in the long term. If it was high school, you would have outrage from other students who do not have this opportunity. If it meant increasing the chances of getting into med school at Harvard, of course everyone would buy marks. You'd have people with 103% applying :P.

Those in opposition, of course, argue that you give kids the wrong message by allowing them to buy grades.

Well, an average above 100 wouldn't show up on a grade transcript, it would just show a 100.

It's true, but with the whole ivy league, I'm sure if you could somehow find a way to squeeze in there you got 103% in the course, you would.

A few years ago, someone (not in my grade) got 101% in math... that was pretty impressive...

I wish I could get my 300+ gym average from last year on my transcript :D:
Image
User avatar
Roboryantron
Treecko
Treecko
 
Posts: 4335
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:36 pm
Location: Those are some mad poofy pants
Has thanked: 5 time
Have thanks: 1 time

Next

Return to The Fireplace

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron
suspicion-preferred