Welcome
Hey guys, welcome to the NSider Community, a Nintendo gaming forum! Our most popular discussions are Pokémon, Super Smash Brothers, and free discussion at our Restaurant. But don't be deceived; you will not get your food! I hope you join in our discussions today here at NSC.

Two school shootings in my city

The deepest conversations are moving, inspired, and sometimes touchy. Take a break from the bustling world for a minute and speak from the heart.

Two school shootings in my city

Postby Star125 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:25 pm

You may have heard about two shootings in Huntsville, AL (where I live) on the news. If you haven't:

Middle school shooting- Article 1,Article 2

College shooting- Article

It's pretty freaky that both of these happened in my own city, which is supposed to be one of the best cities in the country to raise a family. An even freakier thing is that these both happened shortly after my school and the rest of the schools in the county started practicing a plan for if there's a shooter in the building. Both of these are things that that plan can do nothing to prevent: a student shooting during a class change and a teacher shooting at a faculty meeting. Really the only way is to prevent people from taking guns to school in the first place, but it would be so difficult to enforce that. I mean, what could you do? Search everyone for weapons before letting them inside? That would be WAY too difficult and inconvenient, but it's the only way to prevent school shootings from ever happening.

About the middle school shooting, people have been blaming some things in the media, like making it look cool to join gangs. They also have been blaming violent video games, mainly first person shooters, for giving off the message that violence is the way to solve your problems. There's even been talk of banning said video games, which really doesn't affect me, cause I don't like those kind of video games anyway.

And about the college shooting, it's been pretty shocking with all the things from the shooter's past being revealed, like shooting her brother several years ago and mailing a pipe bomb. It's crazy that they would allow someone with such a past to teach at a college, but then again, she was never actually charged of anything. It's sad that it took something like this for those rulings to be reevaluated.

Any thoughts or comments?

Spoiler:

(5th gen Pokemon)
Star125
Skulltula
Skulltula

Have thanks: 6 time
Highscores: 38

Re: Two school shootings in my city

Postby Baconator25 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:21 pm

(Unlike Chu,) Imma keep my promise and post my thoughts like I said I would. ;)

I have to say that I highly disagree with the blame-it-on-the-video-game thing. I see/hear that a lot. Adults, who, I'm quite positive do not actually play video games seem to like to blame them for issue's with children. What I found interesting about that first thing was that it was about how they should be banning these games and not talking about how the kid GOT the gone in the first place. (IMO) Banning these games will not do anything, just because I don't think that games are the problem. I heard this somewhere, I don't remember where, but I just remember hearing this, but I heard that video games actually reduce the likelihood of a child thinking it's okay to shoot people and whatnot. They gave all these reasons, but I really don't remember...

Anyway, I think that banning video games is the wrong course of action and questions of how the child obtained a gun in the first place should be addressed.
^^I want to be cool and have one of these!
Baconator25
Alpha Metroid
Alpha Metroid

Have thanks: 13 time
Highscores: 29

Return to The Fireplace