Welcome
Hey guys, welcome to the NSider Community, a Nintendo gaming forum! Our most popular discussions are Pokémon, Super Smash Brothers, and free discussion at our Restaurant. But don't be deceived; you will not get your food! I hope you join in our discussions today here at NSC.

Video Game COMPLETING Thread FOREVER!!

There are many superb games that are not made by Nintendo. Share your experiences with them here!

Re: Video Game COMPLETING Thread 2015!!

Postby JBDCool » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:17 pm

Star125 wrote:I unlocked all the characters in Smash for Wii U today, does that count?
Id say that is dependant upon how much further you wish to go with the game. Do you want to unlock all stages? Complete all the challenges? Unlock all stages? Unlock all special moves? Collect all Mii Equipment?

I unlocked all the characters and stages and considered myself finished for the moment in the 3DS version. Id like to go back and unlock the special moves at some point but I have other games I want to play at the moment.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
JBDCool
Purple Pikmin
Purple Pikmin

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Luigi_Freak_The_23rd » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:45 am

I have beaten Danganronpa 2!

Better than the first game at least. For a game whose theme is despair, it doesn't do a good job giving you that feeling... until the very last chapter. When anyone dies they maybe dwell on it for a good minute before everyone is back to their perky attitudes again. A lesson could be learned from Zero Escape, if you want to invoke a specific emotion you need to have other emotions present so we can appreciate them, for example if you want any of your sad moments to mean anything you need to have happy moments to begin with. It sounds very obvious but Danganronpa is a little too happy, even after someone has died. It would have been cool to see these characters character traits deconstructed and their despair grew but none of the characters change, grow, or develope unfortunately. The game's writing seemed to be a little better then the first Danganronpa, but it can still be frustrating at times when certain things. For example a certain character motivations for killing obviously isn't going to be revealed until the end, but chapter 3s motivation was because of a badly written convenience, which was pretty frustrating. The real meat of DR2 is when you're in the class trail, piecing together to mystery while finding contradictions. That would be fine if it weren't for the other mini games. They're fun I guess, but other times they can be really frustrating when the game suddenly introduces a new game and explains it vaguely and expects you to understand it right away. I think it would have benefited the game to remove some of them in favor of more non-stop debates. The other games themselves seem kinda disconnected from the rest of the class trail in my opinion. Speaking of disconnected the last chapter felt very much that from the rest of the game. The big huge "plot twist" kind of had no build up at all and kind of just shows up as soon as chapter 6 started. I think I remember one line that might point to it in chapter 2 but other than that we got nothing. However, once it settled in it was probably the best written chapter of the bunch.

The game was written well enough where I was still interested throughout a 35 hour game. The class trials were fun too. And the ending did open it up for a sequel. But unlike Zero Escape 3, if Danganronpa 3 were to never be released, I don't think I would really care.
Luigi_Freak_The_23rd wrote:Poor Watermelon gods couldn't didn't see it coming

Image NS:|
Luigi_Freak_The_23rd
Wendell
Wendell

Have thanks: 5 time
Highscores: 11

Postby Calico_Lover » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:54 am

obj!

Lawyers the Second: Prosecutor's Revenge (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All)
Was an ok game. I read most people didn't like the cases and I see why but I didn't like some of the music for the trials more than anything. Also I don't get what's with Phoenix just hating Edgeworth all of a sudden. Like ok fine maybe he's disappointed with him but just acting all YOU'RE DEAD TO ME... what. Last case was really good though.

Lawyers 3: The Lawyering (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations)
Now this is what I was expecting after playing the first game. Good cases all around. Cool story. And Godot is so freaking cool dude I love this guy.

The last cases of both games gave me emotions of various sorts. For example, things like :), or *v*, or D8, and let's not forget ;_;. Mostly Maya related. Feeling emotions over games does not happen very often, so I give the series a NS:) overall.

obj!

Pokémon Alpha Sapphire: I wish Skitty wasn't a completely useless Pokémon edition
I have now fallen in love with Absol. Mega Absol is also cute, which makes it better.
Oh yeah I forgetted to talk about the thing. Right. So the postgame story was a bit disappointing to me, really. It goes along and you're doing the thing which I GUESS is supposed to be super suspenseful and mysterious and I think kind of sad? then all of a sudden WOAHHHHH CRAZY ACTION PSSHHHHH PEW PEW WOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW and then it just kinda ends. It felt to me like there was more story (mostly background) to be had, but there wasn't.
ImageImageImage
Calico_Lover
Administrator
Administrator

Have thanks: 6 time
Highscores: 26

Postby JBDCool » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:16 pm

Calico_Lover wrote:Pokémon Alpha Sapphire: I wish Skitty wasn't a completely useless Pokémon edition
I have now fallen in love with Absol. Mega Absol is also cute, which makes it better.
Oh yeah I forgetted to talk about the thing. Right. So the postgame story was a bit disappointing to me, really. It goes along and you're doing the thing which I GUESS is supposed to be super suspenseful and mysterious and I think kind of sad? then all of a sudden WOAHHHHH CRAZY ACTION PSSHHHHH PEW PEW WOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW and then it just kinda ends. It felt to me like there was more story (mostly background) to be had, but there wasn't.
Yeah I wish Jigglypuff wasnt so useless. Evolite and the fairy type gave it a little something but still...

I've seen a couple of people complain about the post game but thats ok to me. I'm just past the fifth gym and Im just enjoying the ride, reliveing one of my favorite Pokemon games. But Im especially enjoying the Dexnav, I love having the power to capture Pokemon and then seek them out specifically. I had such a hard time hunting down Lucky Eggs in X whereas it took me half an hour to get five in Omega Ruby.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
JBDCool
Purple Pikmin
Purple Pikmin

Postby Calico_Lover » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:30 am

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Saw this one on sale yesterday and decided to download it since I've been interested in playing it for a while. I had a lot of fun playing it, though it's pretty short. There's some really difficult platforming segments and the damage you take can be pretty unforgiving, but this makes things a bit more interesting. I give this a butt wiggle/10
ImageImageImage
Calico_Lover
Administrator
Administrator

Highscores: 26

Postby Star125 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:23 pm

I beat Alpha Sapphire!

All in all it was a really good remake. Added plenty of new stuff while not changing what I loved about the originals. I was pleasantly surprised by the story in the Delta episode. I really liked Zinnia. My one problem with the game is that there's no battle frontier.

Spoiler:

(5th gen Pokemon)
Star125
Skulltula
Skulltula

Highscores: 38

Postby Basilikos » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:01 am

Beat Mass Effect 2!

I definitely like this game more than the original, even though I normally like RPGs more than shooters. Compared to the first game, ME2 is much smoother and less about menu mashing or car driving, a major criticism I had of the first game. Much preferred the "build-your-team" narrative of 2 than the sort of sporadic missions of the first game as well; it gives you a more personal investment in succeeding, I think.

Sounds like I hate the first game, but that's not really true - I just wish there were more meat to it.

I may edit this later? Once my thoughts are more organized.
Basilikos
Gameboy Color
Gameboy Color

Have thanks: 0 time
Highscores: 31

Postby Darkbuster13 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:38 pm

Basilikos wrote:Beat Mass Effect 2!

I definitely like this game more than the original, even though I normally like RPGs more than shooters. Compared to the first game, ME2 is much smoother and less about menu mashing or car driving, a major criticism I had of the first game. Much preferred the "build-your-team" narrative of 2 than the sort of sporadic missions of the first game as well; it gives you a more personal investment in succeeding, I think.

Sounds like I hate the first game, but that's not really true - I just wish there were more meat to it.

I may edit this later? Once my thoughts are more organized.

Sure why not
"Those are some nice BOWLING SHOES." -President Obama

"La risa que procede de leve causa es tontería."
Darkbuster13
Tingle
Tingle

Highscores: 24

Postby JBDCool » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:30 pm

I have beaten Omega Ruby.

This game was a blast, it was nostalgic yet with a fresh coat of newness to it. I didn't expect any less, Ruby is my favorite original Pokemon version and Soul Silver was my favorite overall so this of course was destined to become my new favorite. But what I didnt expect was the Pokenav. I love having the power to see every Pokemon on a route, showing if I have them or not. And the power to seek them out for good stats, hidden abilities, and items. I love that thing, I hope they put it in Pokemon Z.

The Delta Episode was a fun addition too.

I actually now am most compelled to go back and complete my Pokedex. I've never been more compelled to complete my dex or to get the other version just so I can play it again. Actually I kinda want another Omega Ruby so I can watch the scenes with Maxie again, I love how he evolves as a character. And his animation when he loses is so funny. And yet cool.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
JBDCool
Purple Pikmin
Purple Pikmin

Postby Luigi_Freak_The_23rd » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:53 am

I forgot this existed lolo

The Talos Principle:
One of my favorite games in a while. It's like Portal but with (imo) better puzzles. And there are so many of them! The story is also really interesting as you talk to an A.I. about philosophical stuff and it starts messing with your head. The gameplay and story aren't really linked at all in the game unfortunately.

Persona 4:
Really good! It's like a High School sim but also a Pokemonish RPG. You go throughout your day to day life with your friends and stuff when you find out you can enter the TV and go into other worlds! Eventually you get your friends to come with you and you have all sorts of adventures! When I was playing the game I didn't really think it was anything special but a few weeks after finishing I thought "You know... That was a great game!" I was craving more after beating it.
I would say more but I beat this like 4 months ago so I don't really remember much.

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright:
It was alright. I've never played a Layton game but for a Phoenix Wright game it was underwhelming. It had a really promising beginning and I was really into it but the reveal at the end was kinda... just stupid. It kind of also dragged its feet near the end. It was a decent game but a disappointing one. Professor Layton on the prosecutors stand should have been a lot cooler.

New Super Mario Brothers 2:
Can I just say that I really hate the New Super Mario Brothers games? I really hate the New Super Mario Brothers Games. I don't really care that it's technically "a good game" because it is so uninspired it hurts. How many freaking times can you use the same Plain, Desert, Water, Ice, Jungle, Mountain, Sky, and Lava Worlds? How many times can you use the same enemies as the last 3 NSMB games or the original 2D games? It's always the same grass world with the same basic design with the same basic power ups with the same enemies with the same challenges and the same story and the same ending and the same mini bosses that always take 3 hits to defeat and the same regular koopa kid bosses with the same attack patterns that they did 25 years ago and I could literally go on forever! There is not one original thought that goes into these games anymore man and it makes me mad because Mario 3 and World are some of my favorite games! This one at least had the gimmick of collect as many coin as possible but I don't feel like even that was implemented well. Wii U had that one level based off of that one painting and then went back to the usual formula! Yes, Mario 1, 2, USA, 3, and World had the same Mario platforming but there were obviously different ideas going into each game. Between the games we had different ways to finish the levels, different enemies, new different worlds, varying bosses, and they even controlled slightly differently. Anyway, it was "a good game" but I don't care for it.

Dragon Warrior:
Grinding: The Game!
Gridning in RPGs is my guilty pleasure. It kept my attention. It hasn't aged very well but it's fun for what it is.

Shovel Knight:
The things you hear about the game are true, It's a pretty fantastic game. Like... I don't even know what to say about it, it's just really good... yeah... I don't know. The controls are very tight and responsive... It's fun to jump around and to use your shovel... Man I don't know just play it okay?

P.T.:
It's a free game on PS4 and it's the best free game ever. I don't usually like spooky scary games but this is just so well done that I can't help but love it! It not like jump scare scary either, it's actually legitimately unsettling. Since none of you will ever have a PS4, I recommend to just watch someone on youtube play it or something.

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune:
I didn't really like it. The platforming is fun but you maybe spend an hour doing it the entire game. The rest of the time your mowing down enemies, which isn't nearly as fun. You perhaps maybe do a platforming section, mow down some enemies, walk for a minute or so, mow down more enemies, maybe a story section, mow down enemies, ect. It's fun in small bursts I guess. I only bought it so I can play the 2nd game anyway lol

Caster:
I bought this game on steam for 14 cents on sale expecting nothing but it was actually a really fun and unique game and I wish I had bought it at full price. It's obviously indie since the graphics are pretty bad and the game isn't technically finished but man I feel bad for buying this for 14 cents. Basically you run around a 3D field and shoot things while running around like sonic! You get better as you go on as you level up and you also get more weapons. It's really fun.

Voices From The Sea:
A free Visual Novel on steam. It was cute I guess. The ending is sweet and a bit of a tear jerker, or it would have been if it took some more time to develop the characters and setting. It's really short (30ish minutes) so it doesn't really give you time to care. I would like to see this idea expounded upon someday. It's definitely worth checking out for the ending, and since it's free you don't have any excuse not to play it!
Luigi_Freak_The_23rd wrote:Poor Watermelon gods couldn't didn't see it coming

Image NS:|
Luigi_Freak_The_23rd
Wendell
Wendell

Have thanks: 5 time
Highscores: 11

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Nintendo Discussion