Welcome
Hey guys, welcome to the NSider Community, a Nintendo gaming forum! Our most popular discussions are Pokémon, Super Smash Brothers, and free discussion at our Restaurant. But don't be deceived; you will not get your food! I hope you join in our discussions today here at NSC.

Video Game COMPLETING Thread FOREVER!!

There are many superb games that are not made by Nintendo. Share your experiences with them here!

Re: Video Game COMPLETING Thread 2015!!

Postby JBDCool » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:22 pm

I dont think I'll be beating any more games this year. I have four games left on the 3DS really worth beating. Donkey Kong Country Returns is a tad difficult for me to beat with my time constraints. Kid Icarus Uprising just doesnt appeal to me enough to overlook how I cant get used to the control sceme. Ultimate NES Remix is fun but the minigames based on games I never played dont appeal so much to me and it was a freebie so I'm not so compelled to finish it. And I've beaten Majoras Mask before so I'm not feeling getting into the remake just yet.

There arent really any games out that I dont have for 3DS that I want. Kirby Triple Deluxe looks a little interesting but Squeak Squad was a let down and Adventure Mode on TD doesnt look much better. Then theres Xenoblade Chronicles 3D but I cant justify getting a new system just to play a games that'd probably take me a year to beat. I'm also interested in the DS version of Chrono Trigger and the World Ends with You, but I just finished Zelda and I'd really like to play a platformer next. Or the next Zelda on my list...

The game I'd really like to finish is Skyward Sword. Picked it up a couple weeks ago and found I hadn't played it in like three years. But with my newborn daughter and my sons unwilling to go to bed on time I cant really play my Wii.

Frankly, I've been so bored with my games I've taken to reading books. Right now the books I'm reading my wife keeps teasing me that they're written for teenage girls but I cant seem to put them down.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
JBDCool
Purple Pikmin
Purple Pikmin

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Baconator25 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:21 pm

Holy crap, I'm posting in this thread. ME!!!

Don't tell my boss, but I may or may not have played through the entirety of Mutant Muddz and Kid Icarus while they were on vacation and I was left on my own.

I had played Mutant Muddz a few years ago, but I hadn't beaten most of the granny levels, so I took a bit to finish that up. Then I was trying to find another game to play, but every game I tried would require the L or R buttons at some point, so I wasn't able to complete them. Eventually, I decided to just play through the original Kid Icarus. I enjoyed it, but traversing the boss levels was pretty frustrating and tedious and once you get through world one, the rest of the game is pretty much a breeze.

Yeah!
^^I want to be cool and have one of these!
Baconator25
Alpha Metroid
Alpha Metroid

Have thanks: 13 time
Highscores: 29

Postby Calico_Lover » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:40 pm

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Crotch grabbingly good, Metal Gear Solid 2 is a game where you play as an androgynous man trained solely by video games on his first mission to rescue the president from a group of terrorists. On his mission, he encounters Doctor Octopus and his band of misfits: a vampire, angst personified, and a rollerskating nerd. He gets to know more about his girlfriend and even meets his hero along the way, receiving a sword with which he is able to begin deflecting bullets after approximately twelve seconds of training. I give this game a METAL GEARRRRRRRRRRRRR/10

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Continuing the pants clutching awesomeness of the series, you play as Little Boss, trained by The Boss, in the midst of the Cold War before he grew up to become Big Boss, following the failure to rescue a scientist who would wet himself at the sight of his own shadow, Little Boss ends up in conflict with his former mentor and has to battle her and her four Pokémon to avoid a nuclear catastrophe. On the way, he becomes the senpai of a gun twirling dork and a motorcycle riding girl whose only goal in life is to have her boobs noticed by Little Boss. Little Boss also has to stop Thor, who has recently given up his hammer in favor of hand bullets, from using his rocket propelled tank to destroy the United States. The mission would change the perception that Little Boss has of the world. This game gets a SNAKE EATERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR (do do do DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO)/10.

Legend of Legacy
Now here we have an interesting game. I'd call this game frustratingly fun. With an art style reminiscent of Bravely Default, this is an RPG that is surprisingly not driven much by story. In fact, there's little dialogue at all. The main experience of the game, then, comes from exploring the various places you visit and mapping them out. The combat system revolves around setting up your characters in three main stances(attack, guard, and support, with some subclasses in these) and calling upon the elements to both effectively keep your party alive and efficiently defeat your enemies.
The game doesn't use an experience system like a normal RPG. The closest thing I can think of to it is Final Fantasy 2. You gain skills for a weapon as you use them, and your HP can increase after battle. It seems entirely random when this occurs, but I'm not convinced that it is. The reason I call the game frustrating is that there is a sudden transition from enemies that are mostly ok to enemies that will ruin you. The main reason for that seems to be that the new enemies can sometimes use strong aoe attacks, which they are entirely capable of spamming. If you encounter a group of, say, seven such enemies, you can be wiped out before even half of them are done killing you and you have no way of ever retaliating. I consider some normal battles like this to be even more difficult than the final boss, since the final boss won't use thousands of aoe attacks in one turn. Fortunately, you can run from most battles(the only consequence being that you're sent to the beginning of the area you're in), so you can choose whether you want to die or not.
The frustrating aspect out of the way, I still find the game to be a lot of fun. I won't give a rating to the game but suggest that everyone try it out for themselves, since I can see it being a like it or hate it type of thing.
Garnet a besto. Bianca is very close afterwards.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Calico_Lover
Administrator
Administrator

Have thanks: 6 time
Highscores: 26

Postby Darkbuster13 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:12 am

The Legend of Korra
Game is ok, you get to punch stuff and use the elements to beat guys up and that's kind of fun until there's like 3 really huge things and the camera goes crazy. Reminds me a lot of smash bros because countering is super overpowered. The story is disappointing. Basically there's a bad guy and he's doing bad things so Korra has to beat stuff up until she can beat him up and stop him. Really underutilizes the cool characters the avatar universe. Basically you have Korra doing the playable character things, Jinora serving as tutorial and Deus Ex Jinora as she does, and Iroh runs the special move shop for some reason. Mako and Bolin also show up for literally 3 seconds before disappearing for the rest of the game. The combat has potential to be cool but you spend all game learning moves and bending styles (oh yeah, the avatar has forgotten bending again, whoops) so you always feel like you're being limited in that regard. The boss fights are cool enough that i felt a sense of accomplishment upon beating them which is cool. Over all it was ok.
"Those are some nice BOWLING SHOES." -President Obama

"La risa que procede de leve causa es tontería."
Darkbuster13
Tingle
Tingle

Highscores: 24

Postby Darkbuster13 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:26 am

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire is a Pokemon game. I liked it.

Darkbuster13
Tingle
Tingle

Postby Calico_Lover » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:02 pm

I am bored, so I am writing words. I have been putting this off for a while but now there's one more game to add anyway!

Super Mario Bros. 3
So I used to play this a lot back in the NES days, but I never actually finished the game. It's been sitting on my 3ds for like... idk 6 months now? so I figured it was time to play it. This is a Mario game, and it's a good one, so... that's about all I have to say.

Metroid II: Return of Samus
Continuing the trend of virtual console games that sit on my 3ds for long periods of time (this is the only other one that fits that), I hope you like murder, because you're committing genocide! And uhh... well I kind of put this post off for too long and don't remember everything I wanted to talk about. oops. Anyway, here you see the beginnings of various mechanics that you'd eventually see refined in Super Metroid, so the feel of the game can be awkward at times. Overall, the game is still decent, though you can take a lot of damage from fighting metroids that seems unavoidable (except when you figure out the trick to zetas, those become a joke, before then they kind of suck).

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
Here we have a game from a series I knew of but didn't know much about. One day the wii u gamepad went blip blip heyo there's this demo on the eshop you can play so I said aight coolio why not. After all, recent anime I had watched RUINED MY LIFE and I became really interested in the horror genre. The game is also based off of a ton of folklore and I love that stuff, and it's also based on one of the most interesting places I've ever read about, so it seemed like a good idea.
And now that I am writing this I totally forgot what the next point I was going to make was, so let's talk about something else. This game is FANTASTIC at setting up the atmosphere of a place as you explore a mountain where people go to end their life. The game has no music, but it's not like the single greatest fight of all time, there's a lot of ambient noise. This has the unfortunate side effect, however, of sometimes just giving me a headache and irritating me in general BUT it still adds a lot to the spookiness. One of the best things about the game is how little actual spooking there is. There are random encounters in the game so you can be attacked at any time and there's lots of setups for things that could spook you, but it doesn't always happen, which is GREAT. There's always that feeling of anticipation about when something will happen next.
ON THE OTHER HAND, the game does have some shortcomings. The drawback to the game looking beautiful is that the file size of the game is ENORMOUS, requiring 16 gb free to download (and it's digital only). The controls are potentially something to complain about, but it's a survival horror game so it's supposed to be that way and you get used to it. Next, the English VO is awful. Just don't listen to it. Take the Star approach: Open the options menu, turn on the Japanese voices. You're welcome. Another thing, though I guess this isn't the game's fault, is that you will eventually get used to the spooky atmosphere of the game. While you never drop that feeling of anticipation, things don't scare you as much. There's also a pretty small number of ghosts in the game, so you'll see the same guys a number of times, though this isn't out of the ordinary for a Fatal Frame game. This wouldn't be a problem, but some of them have some frustrating combat patterns. I also sometimes have that moment of ugh, not this guy again, which could happen for any of the random encounters except THIS THING. Hang on I need one more paragraph to talk about her.
Let me take a moment to talk about the Tall Woman. She kinda freaks me out. You encounter her a couple times in chapters before you can fight her as a vanishing ghost. So here you going about your business when this giant lady just appears a little off into the distance and she just turns around and STARES AT YOU. Oh, and by the way, she is always wearing a creepy slasher smile. Now, all of the ghosts in the game are of people who died on the mountain, suicide or otherwise, but not the Tall Woman! There's no reason for her to be there, she just exists. The other ghosts attack you sort of just because you're there, but the Tall Woman actually tells you to get used to her after you fight her, letting you know that she is actively pursuing you just to ruin your life. Fortunately, the fight with her isn't so bad, though she can 2 shot you if you get hit. On a side note, the Tall Woman is based off this story, which is a pretty interesting read, and, like I said, I like lore.
So yeah, pretty good game overall. If you like horror, go for it.

Stella Glow
Look, it's another obscure Atlus game that I impulse bought after playing the demo! First, let me begin by saying holy crap this game is awesome.
Ok we can talk about the game now. This won't be quite so long as the last one because I'm not sure how to express how good the game is aside from what I just said. Anyway, what we have here is Fire Emblem's combat system merged with Shining Force's turn system. This game is really interesting in its difficulty. It's not necessarily hard, but challenging. Unlike something like Fire Emblem: Awakening's lunatic mode, you don't have to pray to rngesus to live through each turn. You can get put in some really bad situations during battles, but, with some clever thinking, you can almost always find a way out, and that's something I really like about the game. The only real downside to the game is that the start of the game can be pretty slow, but it picks up pretty quickly. The plot also has some things that I didn't expect and actually surprised me, so that's cool.
Other things this game has include: Great music, fun dialogue, and some fantastic voice acting. Unlike Fatal Frame's godawful English voices, this game does it right. In fact, this game does it better than a whole lot of others. Characters talk in realistic manners with realistic emotions in the situations they're put in (situations might not be so realistic all the time, but that's kind of unavoidable). The lines are delivered well, and it adds so much to the game as a result.
I really highly extremely recommend this game. Must buy. 6/7. Just do it.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Calico_Lover
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Darkbuster13 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:35 pm

Ok so hey guys I just thought I would let you know my plans here with this thread.

See, originally I was going to count all of the games people beat and then tally it up, making a game out of beating games, but instead I'm going to not do that at all. :D:

Instead I'm think to just take the 2015 out of the thread and keep the topic going indefinitely as a place for people to share thoughts about what games they've beaten. Feel free to keep track yourself though.

In any case, have a happy and prosperous 2016! You know, if you're into that sort of thing.

Darkbuster13
Tingle
Tingle

Postby Calico_Lover » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:20 pm

Darkbuster13 wrote:Ok so hey guys I just thought I would let you know my plans here with this thread.

See, originally I was going to count all of the games people beat and then tally it up, making a game out of beating games, but instead I'm going to not do that at all. :D:

Instead I'm think to just take the 2015 out of the thread and keep the topic going indefinitely as a place for people to share thoughts about what games they've beaten. Feel free to keep track yourself though.

In any case, have a happy and prosperous 2016! You know, if you're into that sort of thing.

Got you covered. At least I have you covered if I can count correctly. Or read. Or both.

Luigi_Freak_The_23rd: 11
Star125: 2
JBDCool: 4
Calico_Lover: 14
Chuey: 2
Darkbuster13: 3
Dragon: 1
Baconator25: 1

I counted JBD beating Pokemon twice because why not. I don't think anyone cares anyway? I also beat Undertale and Xenoblade Chronicles X in the last days of the year as well as consider Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate completed, but I don't feel like adding them to the list because I am lazy and so didn't count them.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Calico_Lover
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Video Game COMPLETING Thread FOREVER!!

Postby Star125 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:41 am

So i beat this game called Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon.

It was a lot more difficult than the last PMD. I ended up fighting a level 50 Salamence at level 12.
My moves would miss all the time, which got really annoying.
The final boss took all my reviver seeds, plus sacrificing my partner, to beat.

The story was much better than Gates to Infinity, but it wasn't spread out very well. Last third of the game was just dungeon dungeon dungeon dungeon dungeon with no breaks.
The ending was tearjerking, as always.
The music did not disappoint. (Partner's theme is amazing)

I started a second playthrough already and it cleared the jukebox which made me sad. I love the jukebox.
Spike Chunsoft pls give multiple files.

6/7

Spoiler:

(5th gen Pokemon)
Star125
Skulltula
Skulltula

Highscores: 38

Re: Video Game COMPLETING Thread FOREVER!!

Postby Darkbuster13 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:57 am

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
Majora's Mask is a stupid game that requires you to be in random locations at random times to trigger events that lock you out of other side quests forcing you to go back to the first day because being a good Samaritan and saving an old lady from getting her bombs stolen should totally stop you from getting into the last leg of the longest sidequest into the game forcing you to restart the damn thing. BECAUSE GETTING THE BOMB MASK AND COUPLE'S MASK IN THE SAME CYCLE IS OBVIOUSLY STUPID WHAT WAS I THINKING.
Ok, that was a small thing overall but it pissed me off and I had to blow off steam for it.
Any way I mean it's Majora's Mask and it's on the 3DS and it's prettier than it used to be. There are some things that were changed for the better (Song of Double Time) and for the worse (Zora swimming) but yeah it's cool I guess, Ocarina is better.

Injustice: Gods Among Us
Okokok so like what if Superman got really damn pissed off and decided to become Hitler? That's essentially the story behind Injustice. The actual fighting feels weird coming from Street Fighter and Marvel (Back->Forward moves work like 60% of the time). Also damn we get it Batman is popular, there are like 12 chapters in the game's story, each one you play as a different character except for Batman he get's 3 whole chapters to himself because he's Batman of course. A lot of characters I wanted to try out didn't get story chapters so if I want to try them I have to go into training mode and actually play the game, which is disappointing considering i have no intention of doing that. Overall it was ok like a decent superhero movie with way more fighting than your average superhero movie. Also Cyborg says "Boo-yah" so that's great.

Darkbuster13
Tingle
Tingle

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Nintendo Discussion